I know most people aren’t that familiar with kohlrabi, but they’re a great way to diversify your diet. Whenever my dad fixed corned beef and cabbage, kohlrabi were in the pot. Hard to find except at farmers markets and in larger metropolitan areas, but they are so easy to grow. The seeds are available almost everywhere. Natural Grocer has some really good information about why you need to fall in love with the whole brassica family of vegetables, click here for the article.
To prepare kohlrabi to cook make sure you peel the green skin and fibrous area underneath the skin completely away.
Cream Kohlrabi and Celery
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 TBSP dijon mustard
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Bay leaf
- 1 cup grated parmesan, divided use
- Tony Chachere seasoning, to taste
- 6 celery stalks, thinly sliced (a processor is good to use for this)
- 3 medium kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350.
- Generously butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a saucepan, heat on medium, cream, broth, dijon, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.
- In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup parmesan, seasoning, celery, and kohlrabi.
- When cream mixture is steamy remove thyme and bay leaf, stir together with celery mixture, and pour into baking dish. Smooth down top, sprinkle with other 1/2 cup parmesan.
- Bake about 1 hour uncovered, or until vegetables are tender.
Kohlrabi With Capers and Garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 medium kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno, and minced (pickled jalapeno slices work fine)
- 1 1/2 TBSP pressed garlic
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP anchovy paste
- 1-2 tsp fish sauce
- 1-2 TBSP capers
- 8 stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 TBSP minced parsley
- Add salt if necessary
- In a large skillet heat olive oil and add kohlrabi. Cook for a couple minutes and the jalapeno, garlic, oregano, and basil.
- After the kohlrabi has cooked a few minutes more (don't let the garlic brown), stir in the rest of the ingredients and cook until the kohlrabi is done to your liking.