I can go just so long without a great dish of pasta. After all, I ate it at least once a week when I was growing up, and I love it. This is Mexican, meets Italian, meets Greek pasta and it’s so good, my mouth is watering thinking about it!!
For this recipe, I used up a lot of things I had in the freezer. So, just keep in mind this is a really flexible recipe for me. I didn’t want to use cream, and used the green enchilada sauce in its place.
We Are the World Carbonara
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced smoked (deer meat) sausage
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup taco meat
- 1 1/2 cups roasted tomatoes
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lb cooked pasta (I used fettuccine noodles), undercook by about 2 minutes, reserve 1 cup cooking water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook sausage until starting to brown. Add bacon and taco meat and continue cooking.
- Stir in tomatoes and reduce heat to very low.
- Mix together yolks and green enchilada sauce. Stir in feta. Set aside.
- Place pasta on tomato meat mixture. Pour yolk / enchilada sauce over pasta. Toss everything together. Add pasta water, if needed.
- Pace yourself!