These were pretty impressive. They’d be great as sliders for a party or picnic, because they can be made ahead of time, and you don’t have to worry about them spoiling. I’ve made, and tried, a lot of veggie burgers over the years, and these are definitely a “keeper”!
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans
- 1 1/3 cup finely crushed wholewheat cracker crumbs (for gluten free use oats)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup drained cottage cheese, or use grated cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2 TBSP chopped green chilies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place about a cup of cornmeal in a small bowl.You'll be using it to coat the burgers once they're made.
- In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients, except the oil.
- Form burgers and coat with cornmeal on both sides. They're a bit messy to work with. Place all the burgers on a plate and place in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.
- In a large skillet heat the oil on medium high. Fry the burgers until nicely brown on both sides.
- Serve them just like you would a hamburger.