This is a delicious side or appetizer. The original recipe was from one of Nina’s cookbooks, and I’ve made my version! I used my homemade mayonnaise in the topping.
- 2 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 pie crust pastry
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil leaves
- 2 tsps fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced (or pressed)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Place colander over a bowl, and place tomato halves in colander. Sprinkle them with salt and toss well. Let them drain for about 1/2 hour.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Line a 9" tart pan with the pie crust pastry, then dock it (make holes with a fork). Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack. Sprinkle crust with 1/2 cup of jack cheese, while still hot. Cool completely.
- Place tomatoes on paper towels to remove any additional moisture. Then spread tomatoes over jack cheese in pie crust.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with pepper.
- Tear basil leaves and sprinkle over tomatoes. Then sprinkle thyme leaves over.
- Lay garlic slices over herbs.
- Mix together 1 cup jack cheese, mayo, and parmesan. Place mixture over everything.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until lightly brown on top.