This recipe is irresistible. It’s “test” time for the lodge menu this year. I need some new things to surprise the hunters with, so I put my spin on a recipe I saw recently, and it’s a little bit of divine!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (always pack cornstarch measurements)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Other Dessert Layers
- 1 angel food cake, torn in small pieces, or sliced
- 6 Butterfinger candy bars (about 12 oz total), crushed
- Chocolate pieces for top
- Place beater and bowl for whipped cream in fridge.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in egg yolks.
- Whisk milk in slowly.
- Add butter.
- Place pan on medium heat. Whisk constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens to pudding.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla and set aside to cool.
- With chilled bowl and beaters, beat whip cream to soft peak. Add powdered sugar and continue whipping. Right before it's to stiff peak stage, add vanilla, and finish whipping.
- Stir half the whipped cream into the cooled pudding, mixing well. Then fold the rest of the whipped cream into the pudding.
- In a 9x13 pan, or great bowl for a trifle, (using 1/2 of the ingredients) layer cake, then cream, then Butterfinger crumbles. Then create another layer. Place chocolate pieces on top.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.