As an appetizer or snack, sweet and savory popcorn is fabulous.
- 1-2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 5 TBSP oil (peanut or canola)
- 2 TBSP sliced pickled jalapenos or 2 sliced fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup popcorn
- 3 TBSP sugar
- Combine salt, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and set aside.
- Heat oil and jalapenos in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, and fry them about 2 minutes. Remove peppers from oil.
- Stir turmeric into oil.
- Add popcorn and sugar to oil, stir quickly, and cover pot.
- Shake until popcorn stops popping, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer popcorn to a large bowl or paper bag. The sugar is hot, so be careful.
- Sprinkle the salt and spice mixture over popcorn. Shake bag or stir well to combine.