I just had to make one more of these. It looked a little like a big ice cream sandwich.
Strawberries and Cream Crustella
- 2 pie crusts
- Butter, room temperature
- Cinnamon and sugar mixture
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (11 oz) jar good strawberry preserves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Heat oven to 400.
- Lay pie crusts flat on greased cookie sheets or parchment covered cookie sheets. You can dock them (prick with fork) or not.
- On one of the pie crusts, smear the top with softened butter and sprinkle heavily with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake crusts about 20 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool.
- For the cream filling - beat the cream cheese, then add preserves and mix well. Beat in the vanilla. Then by hand, stir together the whipped cream and the strawberry cream cheese.
- Flip the plain crust over and smear with half the cream mixture. Place a layer of sliced strawberries on the cream and spread the other half of the cream over the top of the sliced strawberries.
- Place the crust with cinnamon and sugar on top (cinnamon and sugar side up).
- Keep refrigerated.