Turnips are definitely not a regular side in this house, but these are just delicious. I bought some small red turnips at the Waco Downtown Farmer’s Market, and did a few revisions to a Rick Bayless recipe. Red turnips loose all the bite that normal turnips have, after they’re cooked.
- 1 TBSP bacon fat
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 cup spring onion, sliced (use green and white)
- 1/2 cup diced and cooked pancetta or cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 lb small turnips peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 TBSP Sriracha
- 1-2 TBSP agave syrup
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola, feta, or blue cheese
- 2 TBSP roughly chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat bacon fat and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, until caramelized, about 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Stir in pancetta or bacon.
- Steam turnips until nearly tender.
- Stir sriracha and agave syrup into onions. Then stir in cooked turnips. Continue cooking until turnips are coated, a couple minutes. Stir in gorgonzola and cilantro.
- Top with cilantro leaves when serving.