A salad with the veggies that are growing right now, is a perfect light and delicious way to beat the heat.
- 6 small summer squash
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups torn basil leaves
- 8 oz smoked salmon
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp granulated onion powder, or 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 hard boiled eggs, halved
- Tony Chachere's seasoning
- Boston lettuce leaves
- Using a potato peeler, peel squash into long ribbons, and place in a strainer (placed over a plate). Remove as much squash as you can from around the seed pocket, and discard seeds. Sprinkle squash with salt and toss together. Allow the squash to sit for a half hour, to remove some of the water. Pat the squash dry, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the next nine ingredients to the bowl and toss. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with eggs sprinkled with Tony Chachere's.
- Salad can be wrapped in a lettuce leaf or served on a bed of lettuce. Either way, it's an easy, tasty summer meal.