If you make this once, it will become one of your regular recipes. The flavor and the texture are fabulous. They are great accompanied by the Corn and Sweet Potato Salsa. You may want to substitute cilantro or fresh oregano for the basil in the Corn and Sweet Potato Salsa.
And just a reminder, while you’re getting ready for school to start, there are a couple posts you might want to look at about great things for school lunches, Sweet Lunchbox Additions and Lunches for School (or work).
- 3-4 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cups cooked russet potatoes, plain mashed or riced
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup cornmeal (and extra to coat outside patties)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 3 TBSP diced onion or green onion
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 1 TBSP chopped jalapeno or canned chipotle (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Adobo all purpose seasoning (Goya is one brand)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Mix potatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Make 8 patties and lightly coat with cornmeal on both sides. The mixture I made was a bit soft and hard to handle, but no matter, after you fry them they look perfect!
- Fry the patties four at a time until they are nicely browned on both sides.
- Serve with a bit of sour cream or Greek yogurt.