One more cactus recipe. Come on, it’s our native vegetable. When life gives you cactus, cook it and eat it! Think of it as your Cinco de Mayo dish.
Sauteed Nopalitos (Cactus)
- Young, tender, cactus pads
- Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or butter
- Emeril's Essence, or other cajun seasoning
- Granulated garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Drizzle of honey
- Prepare cactus pads, like in the Nopalitos Frittata recipe. I cut the pads in chunks instead of like green beans, but it really doesn't matter.
- Heat a skillet on medium with butter and / or oil in it.
- Add spices and continuing cooking and stirring until the cactus is slightly brown. I use a lot of spices when I cook it, similar to Sauteed Okra.
- When it's almost done, add the drizzle of honey to balance the flavor.