This is a recipe you could use as a side or as a base for pork, chicken, or fish. The almond milk keeps it from being too heavy. You could use regular milk, but in addition to creating a lightness, the almond milk cuts the calories and boosts the nutrition.
Rustic Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Plantains
- 4 cups (1 box) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 green plantains, peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 TBSP butter
- 1 (7 oz) can chopped green chilies
- Red pepper flakes
- In, a saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer. Cook until potatoes and plantains are very soft, and the milk is reduced.
- Mash everything together. Add rest of the ingredients, and combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Other additions: cooked crumbled bacon or pancetta
- Different types of milk you might want to try: coconut, rice, dairy (milk, cream, half and half)