This is a combination of the pot roast and oven steak recipes. You’ll just need a baking dish to make a perfectly tender, delicious roast, with it’s own gravy
- Bacon grease
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated garlic powder
- Chuck roast, room temp
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cups carrots, cut in 2” chunks, or use baby carrots
- 3 onions, sliced thinly
- Broth and / or cream of mushroom or celery soup (Pacific brand is good quality)
- Place bacon grease in bottom of baking pan (I actually cooked a few strips of bacon in the oven)
- Heat oven to 495-500°
- Heat pan with grease, in oven, until grease is just sizzling.
- Mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder, and flour
- Dredge roast in flour on both sides
- Place roast in hot baking pan. Drizzle top with extra virgin olive oil. Bake about 15 minutes. Remove, flip roast, put back in oven and roast another 10 minutes.
- Lower oven to 225°, remove roast.
- If you’re using broth, whisk in 3-4 TBSP flour. Pour into bottom of pan, and make sure you have about ¼” of liquid in bottom, but no more. Place carrots around roast. Cover the whole top of the roast with onions.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake about 4 hours or until roast is tender and falling apart.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.