My niece got some gorgeous rhubarb from a friend’s garden, and we searched for sweet and savory recipes that sounded really good. We ended up with sweet, and you could do this recipe with a fruit topping, but I wouldn’t. There is no way to describe how scrumptious it is, and gluten free (if you remember from previous trips, my niece is gluten free).
This is a picture of my latest tart, using green rhubarb, instead of the rosy color one.
Rhubarb Tart (Gluten Free)
- 1 3/4 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup coarse yellow cornmeal (I used polenta grind)
- (Gluten free flour, as needed)
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 TBSP water
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 TBSP cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream, reserve 1 TBSP
- 3 TBSP light-brown sugar
- 2 cups whole greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a food processor (regular blade), place flour, cornmeal, sugar, zest, salt. Pulse until well combined. Scatter butter pieces on top of flour mix, add yolks, and pulse until just combined (like very coarse crumbs). Add water slowly (you may not need full 3 TBSP), until dough comes together - leave processor running, while adding water. If dough is too wet to handle, add some gluten free flour. Form a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Pat into 10" pan - I couldn't roll this dough. Heat oven to 375, bake about 20-30 minutes, until lightly brown. Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small bowl, stir, and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Combine 1 TBSP cream and the brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm. Stir in gelatin mixture, and remove from heat. Combine yogurt, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl. Add brown-sugar mixture, and whisk until smooth. Whisk remaining cream in a medium bowl until peaks form. Fold cream and lemon juice into yogurt mixture. Place in cooled crust, and place in fridge.
- Combine all ingredients, except rhubarb and vanilla, in saucepan. Cook sugar mixture on medium, until sugar melts. Add rhubarb, and cook mixture, until reduced by half. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. cool completely. Serve as topping on tart.