So we’re tired of turkey now! Let’s try something different. My good friend Brittany agreed to share her Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe. It’s one of those recipes you’ll want to keep in your repertoire.
I decided to cook a head of cabbage cut in half with the pork that I did, and it was delicious. For a good slaw recipe to go with the pulled pork, click here. If you don’t feel like a sandwich, stuff a baked potato!
Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Brittany (Slow Cooker)
From Brittany: After I shred the pork I put it back into the dutch oven so the meat will absorb the liquid. This is spicy, and everyone at our house loves it. I use sweet baby rays bbq sauce on my buns. Mikey puts Coleslaw on his buns. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 pound pork shoulder roast*
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Mix the dry rub and cover the pork well. Cover the pork with plastic or place in a plastic bag, and place in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Combine liquid cooking ingredients (including garlic powder) in a slow cooker. Place pork in the liquid and cover with lid. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs or until fork tender and shreds easily.
- For the oven method. Do the dry rub the same, then when you are ready to cook the pork, heat oven to 325°. Place liquid cooking ingredients in a Dutch oven (or any heavy pot), and place pork in the liquid and tightly cover with aluminum foil then the lid. Roast for 4 hours or until for tender and shreds easily.
- Note:*if you use a pork loin, add 2-3 TBSP olive oil to the cooking liquid