Delicious, easy, and one of my favorite Italian food groups, Pizza BLT is the perfect marriage of the ever popular pizza and the classic BLT. Since we have a lot of great homegrown tomatoes this summer, I’m raising and expanding the BLT menu. We eat a BLT with the first tomato of the season (a necessary ritual in our home). The abundance of tomatoes, the pizza dough in the fridge, and our love of BLTs eventually collided. In addition, in Italy pizza is often topped with fresh salad greens. Clearly, (this) Pizza BLT is authentic!
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1 cooked pizza crust
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Cooked bacon, diced
- Italian dressing
- Size of pizza and amounts of ingredients are up to you.
- Sometimes I make my own pizza dough, or sometimes I buy (organic) pizza crust. Cook until it's brown and done most of the way.
- Place tomatoes in a stainer set over a bowl, salt well, and let drain for about 1/2 hour, to remove a lot of the water.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Smear mayonnaise all over the crust.
- Lay tomato slices as closely as you like, or overlapping. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Scatter around the diced bacon.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
- Mix lettuce and dressing together.
- Top pizza with lettuce and serve.