Nothing like a little bite of pork deliciousness for the holidays – cocktail smokies, weenies, pigs – all good! There are loads of recipes to use for pig in a blanket, but this recipe is a favorite. I use this crust for pot pies, apple pies, and anything you want to make a little “cheesy.” Somehow, it just seems right for the bite-size, sort of sausage kolache.
Happy holidays. And share the pork!
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse, until everything is in pea-size pieces. Continue on the process mode, until everything starts to come together in a ball.
- If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour. If it's too dry, drizzle in a little water or your favorite alcohol (makes the dough a little flakier).
- Place dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap, and form into a 2 1/2" diameter log. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes, until you can easily slice the dough.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Slice dough into discs to wrap each little pig!
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Note: for flakier pastry, add 1/8 tsp baking powder, and maybe a drizzle of water, cider vinegar, or liquor