Still working my way into fall with some soups and stews. This one I served with popovers and salami chips. In Appetizer Ideas, I detailed how to make salami chips, click here to see it. To make the stew even more interesting, serve it with Moroccan Tomato Jam. You knew I’d have to mention Tomato Jam at least one more time.
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced or ground pork
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 7 cups broth
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups frozen artichokes, defrosted and sliced thinly, in the same direction as quarters
- 2 small- medium potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced or use pimentos
- 1 cup black olive halves
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- Pepper or red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onions, then stir in the pork. Cook a couple minutes and stir in garlic. Continue cooking until the pork is a little brown and the onions are cooked.
- Stir in the split peas, broth, ham, marjoram and salt. Simmer for about 20 min. and add potatoes and artichokes. Simmer for another 15 min. and add red pepper, olives, frozen peas. Simmer another 5-10 min.
- Taste for seasoning and add pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, crumbled feta, and a wedge of lemon. I made popovers to go with it. If you make popovers, mix them in the blender.