So, I now have lots of okra to use. I usually do Sauteed Okra, but I’m tired of it. Don makes fried okra, but I’m not a fan of fried food, as you can tell from the recipes on this site. Okra patties or cakes seem to be the thing to make, and a perfect side for this time of year.
- 1/4 cup white Vinegar
- 2 lbs okra, clean and sliced into pieces like you're going to fry it
- 4-5 eggs
- Tony Chachere Original seasoning
- Emeril's Essence seasoning
- 1/2 - 1 cup corn flour, or all purpose flour
- Olive oil for frying
- In a large pot boil some water (enough to put the okra in). Add the salt and vinegar.
- Put the okra in the boiling water, and boil until it's tender. Drain well and cool.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, beat eggs with seasonings. Add okra when it's cool or not more than warm. You don't want the eggs to cook from the heat from the okra.
- Add enough flour to make a soupy consistency.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium to medium high heat.
- Drop about 1/4 cup at a time into the skillet to form a patty. Make sure you stir the mixture before you scoop to put it in the skillet. Everything settles to the bottom of the bowl.
- Fry until each side is deep golden brown.