It’s great to finally start doing meals with our homegrown potatoes and tomatoes. And luckily, I still have cactus I picked and prepared this year. In a previous post, I included instructions on how to prepare cactus, click here, for that info. If you buy a bag of cut up cactus in the vegetable section of the grocery store, make sure you follow the boiling instructions I included in the post, or you’ll end up with a mess, you most likely won’t want to eat!
Nopales and Potato Frittata
- 2-3 TBSP butter
- 1 gold potato, grated
- 1/2 cup prepared nopales - cactus (see above reference)
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- 1 TBSP chopped jalapeno, fresh or pickled
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add potato, stir to coat with butter. Cook until potato starts to brown. If the potato is not completely cooked, toss and cover pan. When cooked, continue with recipe.
- Add nopales, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and a little salt and pepper. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir the eggs with the jalapeno, salt and pepper. Pour over potato and nopales. Lower heat, cover pan and cook until halfway set.
- Place tomato halves on top of the fritatta, cover pan, and continue cooking until set.
- For added flavor, saute the nopales with lots of spices, then add it to the potato.