We’re getting lots of jalapenos out of Kathy’s garden now, and I’m determined to use them in new ways, so here you go. This is an amazing appetizer or side dish. And the topping, well let’s just say not only is it fabulous on these cakes, but on hamburgers, hot dogs, just about anything!
Mini Jalapeno Cornmeal Cakes with Popper Topping
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced jalapenos (I left the seeds in)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced jalapenos
- 1/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1 1/2 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Stir in egg and cream. Stir in honey, then add jalapenos and garlic. Combine well.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Drop cornmeal jalapeno batter by heaping tablespoon and flatten to about a 2" circle (sort of). Fry until golden on both sides. Remove to plate.
- Combine all ingredients except cream cheese in small greased oven proof dish. Lay cream cheese on top. Cover dish and bake at 350 until cheese is melted, about 15 min. Stir to combine everything well.
- Place a tablespoon of topping on each jalapeno cake.
- Note: I used the thin slicing blade on the processor to slice the jalapenos.