The Meyer lemon tree is in full bloom, but there are still lemons on the tree, from last year’s crop. That means I have to get busy and do something with them. My last recipe, Meyer Lemon Cream Pie, is yummy. This time, lower calorie, luscious Meyer Lemon Sorbet is on the menu.
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla, Butter, and Nut flavor* or just vanilla
- 3/4 cup Meyer Lemon juice or combo of seeded whole lemons blended*
- Pinch salt
- To make simple syrup, combine sugar and water in a small pan. Heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and add flavoring. Refrigerate until cold.
- Place Meyer lemons and/or Meyer lemon juice and salt in a blender. Puree, and add simple syrup. Blend together. Place mixture in fridge until thoroughly chilled.
- Place in 1.5 quart ice-cream maker. Turn on and in about 1/2 hour have a creamy sorbet. There are a couple kinds of small ice-cream makers, one is electric, and the other is Donvier (hand crank). The hand crank, only requires that you turn the handle every few minutes.
- *combine equal parts vanilla, butter flavor, and almond flavor to make Vanilla, Butter and Nut flavor
- *the entire rind of a Meyer lemon is very delicious and not acidic