A friend of Don’s shared a recipe he has for marinated onions. They’re great on hot dogs, burgers, salads, fish, or wherever you can squeeze them into your menu! I’ve made a couple of small changes to the original.
Keep the marinating liquid and create a salad dressing by mixing some with oil and a little dijon. It’s particularly good on bitter salad greens, like arugula.
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 cup sugar or 3/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place onions in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, place all marinade ingredients. On medium heat, bring to a boil, then lower and simmer until sugar dissolves.
- Pour marinade over onions, and cover the bowl. When it cools to room temperature, place in fridge and leave overnight.
- Drain and eat.
- Save marinade for dressing or to marinate a tougher cut of meat.