Spice up your summer entertaining with this scrumptious treat. And wash it down with a Moscow Mule, our new summer drink of choice (you can find ginger beer at large grocers, like HEB).
I used a polenta crust in this version, but you could just as easily make a nut crust instead. Process nuts, like pecans, with butter, and press in the bottom of a small tart pan or springform. Kathy made the red jalapeno jelly, but you can buy versions of it in the grocery store. The sweet, hot jalapenos are some of the best I’ve had. They’re a brand called Crybabies.
- Warm polenta
- 8 oz Mexican (or Italian) goat cheese*
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
- Jalapeno jelly
- While polenta is warm, spread a thin layer in the bottom of a small tart pan or small springform pan. I used two 4 1/2" tart pans. Let cool, until set. If you use the recipe link above, you'll have leftover polenta. Put it in a pan in the fridge, and use it later in the week.
- Mix together goat cheese, egg, bacon, garlic powder, and pinch of salt. Spread on top of polenta. Bake at 375° for 10 -15 minutes until set. I used baby tart pans and the toaster oven, because it's summer! Refrigerate until cool.
- Serve topped with jalapeno jelly and sweet and sassy Crybabies. The jalapeno jelly I used had a good flow to it, so I used it like a sauce. But if you have one that's more "set up," heat it slightly to loosen. Spread it on top of the goat cheese layer, and refrigerate until it's set up. It will look spectacular.
- If you don't want to make polenta, try a nut crust (see above).
- *goat cheese from Chicktown Cheese, call Sunshine 254-289-9407