Kathy had a lot of jalapeños to use, and got tired of stuffing them, so she started making casseroles instead. No matter how you make this recipe for poppers, it is so delicious. Use as a side dish, or appetizer. The recipe is written for a smaller single pan of peppers.
Jalapeño Popper Casserole
- 16 large jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 or more tablespoons of cream or sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Four slices cooked crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease baking pan.
- Place jalapeño halves in pan. Mix cream cheese with cream or sour cream to make it easier to dot over peppers. Sprinkle with tomato, onions, cilantro, salt, and bacon. Sprinkle with cheddar.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Serve as is or with tortillas, tortilla chips, or crackers.