I couldn’t decide what kind of ham and cheese sandwich to make the other day, so I created a Cuban meets Croque Monsieur, and dipped it in egg and fried it in butter (Monte Cristo). It’s just decadent.
Ham & Cheese Cuban Cristo Croque
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP flour
- Grating of nutmeg
- 2/3 cup warm cream (or milk)
- 1 1/2 TBSP grated Parmesan
- Yellow or dijon mustard
- Dill (or kosher) pickle slices
- Swiss cheese
- 1 egg, scrambled
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Stir in flour and nutmeg. Stir in cream until smooth. Add salt. You're really making a "gravy," so it's thick. Turn off heat, and stir in Parmesan. Set aside. You'll have too much for just this sandwich, so I guess you'll have to make another!
- Smear one slice of bread with mustard. Place pickle slices on the mustard. Layer cheese and ham on pickles with a smear of the white sauce in between each layer.
- Smear other slice of bread with white sauce and finish the sandwich.
- Heat a generous amount of butter in a skillet.
- Dip sandwich in egg (on each side of sandwich).
- Fry in butter until golden, on each side.