This is a great main course, and really versatile. For a special meal, when you have company make it with smaller potatoes and serve them as a side. If you don’t have a small toaster oven, it’s a good investment. It’s perfect for small portions and won’t heat the whole house.
The combinations for stuffing twice baked potatoes are pretty much endless, but here are few:
- barbequed or smoked meat, pinto beans, and cheddar
- leftover steak and sauteed mushrooms and spinach
- meatball, marinara, and parmesan
- broccoli, chicken, and cannellini beans
- corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese for a reuben baked potato
- pepperoni, Italian sausage, and mozzarella
- Italian sausage, onions, and peppers
- black beans, onions, avocado, and cilantro
- feta, olives, chicken, chickpeas, and dill
- roasted tomatoes, bacon, and a little mayonnaise
Ham and Swiss Twice Baked Potatoes
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 TBSP chopped mushrooms
- 2 TBSP chopped onion
- 2 or 3 asparagus spears, cut in 1/2" pieces
- 2-3 TBSP butter
- 1/4 cup grated Swiss, Guyere, or Emmentaler cheese
- 2 TBSP ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 TBSP cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 450.
- Wash and pierce potato. Bake until done, about 45 min.
- While that bakes, pour oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and onions, until onions are translucent. Add asparagus a minute or two before the onions are completely cooked. Set aside.
- When potato is cooked, while it's hot (have a hot pad to hold it with), cut it in half and scoop most of the potato out and into a bowl. Leave the skin intact with a little potato left with it, and set them aside. Lower oven to 350.
- Mash the butter and potato together. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the sautéed mushrooms, onion, and asparagus. Gently stir together, and stuff the mixture into the potato skins.
- Place the stuffed potato skins on a baking sheet, and place in oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and tops are slightly brown.
- Additions: sour cream, smoked paprika