When you feel like you deserve an elegant dinner for one, this is the recipe! It’s simple and yummy. I used one ingredient that’s on the suspect list for some of you, crushed pork rinds. Don’t knock it, until you’ve tried it. I used them frequently when I was a personal chef for a couple on a low carb diet, but if you think you just can’t stand it, use panko breadcrumbs.
Ham and Cheese Chicken Breasts (Cooking for One)
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, slightly pounded for even thickness
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated garlic powder
- 1 thin slice of ham
- 1 thin slice of swiss cheese
- 1-2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP dijon
- 1 tsp honey
- Pork rind crumbs (finely ground in blender or processor) or panko breadcrumbs
- Heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lay swiss, then ham, then parmesan on one chicken breast. Top with other chicken breast (like a sandwich).
- Mix dijon and honey together.
- Place crumbs on a plate.
- Now here's where it gets messy. Brush one side of the "chicken sandwich" with the honey dijon mixture, then press that side into the crumbs. While it's laying in the crumbs, brush the other side with the honey dijon mixture. Now flip it to press the other side into the crumbs.
- Put it in the skillet. Brown both sides. If the chicken is not fully cooked, cover the pan and lower the heat a little. Cook until chicken is done. The entire cooking time shouldn't be over about 10 min.. depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.