One of the final holdouts in the garden this time of year is jalapeño peppers. As long as they get water they will keep producing right up until the first freeze. My favorite recipe for jalapeños is Grilled Pepper Poppers.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Four slices cooked crumbled bacon
- 16 large jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the mixture into each pepper half.
- Place pepper halves, cheese side up, on grill rack.
- Grill peppers about 5 minutes or until bottoms are charred and cheese mixture is lightly browned. They can also be baked at 400° for about 15 minutes.