Thought for the week:
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
Friday night we ate at Salty Dog again. All week I’d been telling myself I’d have a salad, but I really wanted a burger. I made a great discovery, well really my sister-in-law did, you can have any burger on a salad (no bun of course). If you read my previous post about Salty Dog, you know it’s hard for me to not order the Patty Melt. Anyway, I ended up having a Mouth from the South burger salad, with guac, salsa, jalapenos, onions, and cheese, it was really good. Even though I could easily join a support group for a french fry addiction, I managed to resist ordering them on the side. So today I’m thinking a little healthier and thought grilled chicken and potatoes sounds good.
Grilled Chicken and Potatoes
This is really Kathy's recipe that I reworked a little!
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP soy sauce or worcestershire
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, chopped or use jarred jalapeno slices, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 - 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 - 6 Yukon gold or red potatoes, washed and cut into 3/4" slices (or try sweet potatoes)
- Place first 8 ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until combined and slightly chunky. Remove 1/4 cup of marinade and reserve for potatoes. Place the rest of the marinade in a plastic bag or glass bowl and combine with the chicken. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes about 6 minutes until slightly cooked. Drain well.
- Heat the grill and oil the grates.
- Put the potatoes on first. Grill 5 minutes, brush with reserved marinade and flip. Brush the other side with marinade and continuing cooking until done. Important - do not use the marinade from the raw chicken to baste, and do not touch the raw chicken with the basting brush.
- Grill the chicken about 3-4 minutes a side or until done and juices run clear (depends on the heat of the grill and the thickness of the chicken).
- Add a salad, you've got a meal!
- Note: Other vegetables you might want to grill - squash, thick slices of onion, thick slices of tomato