We still had lots of green tomatoes, so I picked them, and now I’m thinking of ways to use them. If you have some on the vines that are still good, pick them before there’s a hard freeze. There’s lots of great ways to use them. This is the latest recipe I did, but a couple of the previous are: Green Tomato Salad, and Green Tomato Casserole.
- 1 1/2 cups cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 10-12 oz chopped spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz feta
- Mix crumbs and butter together (I did this in processor). Press into greased 10" tart pan. Crumbs should go part way up the sides. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours to set butter.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Place oil in skillet and heat on medium high. Add garlic, peppers, and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally until all liquid is cooked out.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs well, add cream, salt and pepper, whisk well and set aside.
- Layer tomatoes in bottom of crust.
- Spread on spinach mixture.
- Dot with pieces of cream cheese.
- Pour on cream and egg mixture.
- Sprinkle feta over all.
- Cook 35-40 minutes until set and browned.
- Other additions: cooked bacon, ham, olives, sliced almonds, cooked mushrooms