I want to make sure there’s a few more sides, breakfast dishes, and appetizers to choose from for the holidays, so I need to get busy.
Green Beans with Bacon and Almonds
Kathy made these for Thanksgiving this year, and they were excellent.
- 1 pound green beans, cleaned
- 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP finely chopped red onion
- 2 TBSP cooked, crumbled bacon
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds
- 1-2 TBSP dehydrated minced garlic (for flavor and crunch)
- Hot pepper flakes
- Place green beans in boiling salted water, and cook to crisp tender stage. Drain and place immediately into ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain well. You could also use frozen beans, just cook to crisp tender, then ice bath, and drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion, bacon, almonds, and garlic. Saute for a couple minutes, stirring often. Add green beans and stir to coat. If you need more oil, drizzle in a little more.
- Add hot pepper and salt and continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until they reach your desired doneness!