We got one too many cucumbers from the garden this week, so I started making fresh pickles. It’s so easy to make good pickles this way. You just have to have the patience to wait. I’ve done a quicker version (a couple of hours) by increasing the vinegar and spices. They taste really fresh and delicious even though it’s a shorter time period.
This recipe works really well with squash spears also.
The ingredients are per quart of pickles. For half gallon containers, just double it.
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, or use a tsp of dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 TBSP white vinegar
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced onions (optional)
- Place all ingredients in jar. Fill with water to rim. Seal and place in fridge.
- It takes about 2 weeks for the full flavor to develop.
- Taste after one week and correct seasoning. Make sure you keep them stored in the fridge.