Five Spice Short Ribs is a favorite of my husband ever since I first made it, almost 10 years ago. If you don’t want to use ribs, it works great with a chuck roast, shoulder roast, or boneless beef ribs. This picture is of strips of shoulder roast.
Five Spice Short Ribs (Slow Cooker)
- Beef short ribs (2 lbs for 4 people)
- Salt and pepper
- Wine - whatever you have
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Dehydrated garlic chips
- Granulated onion powder
- Chinese 5-spice powder
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Beef broth
- Leave ribs on the counter for about an hour to come to room temperature.
- Salt and pepper the short ribs.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom skillet and sear ribs on all sides. Place ribs in the slow cooker as they get done.
- Use the wine to deglaze the cooking pan (pick up all the little brown bits). Pour that in the slow cooker.
- Generously sprinkle the ribs with garlic, onion powder, and 5-spice (I completely cover the meat with 5-spice). Add peppercorns, bay leaf, and about 1 inch of broth in the bottom. You don't want to cover the meat, but you want enough so it doesn't dry out.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until tender.
- You can add carrots and/or potatoes to the slow cooker, if you want.
- Serve with rice, potatoes, or grits.