This is a great fish dish to add to your repertoire. Even non-fish lovers, like it, and it’s great for kids. I first started making it when we would go fishing and have a lot of small fillets from bass, blue gill, or perch. Those still work well, but if I haven’t gone fishing, I usually use pollock or cod. It’s a great way to start the new year, adding more fish to my diet. I just noticed the red pepper pieces look kind of strange in this picture!
Fish Loaf with Cheese Sauce
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 1 1/2 cups panko or fresh breadcrumbs (for gluten free, use quick oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cajun spice or Old Bay seasoning or paprika
- 2 lbs cooked fish, flaked
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Combine all ingredients except fish.
- Gently stir in flaked fish.
- Place in greased baking dish.
- Bake about a half hour. You want it slightly golden.
- Serve with cheese sauce or tartar sauce.
- Make it like you would for Macaroni and Cheese, for recipe click here.
- You could also add capers or chopped hard boiled egg to the sauce.