Farro is a whole grain, and great for variety in starch side dishes. I used the “emmer” wheat species of farro, because that’s what I had in the pantry. You could use any whole grain (like wheatberries) to make this salad, but it’s delicious with farro.
- 1 cup farro
- 4-5 cups broth
- 4 oz jar chopped pimentos
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup halved black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 TBSP crumbled feta or shaved parmesan
- 6-10 torn basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Butter lettuce leaves
- In a medium saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes, until grain is tender. If you have liquid left in the pan, you can drain it, or add some chia seeds to absorb the liquid. Chia will add extra protein to the dish.
- While the farro is still warm, toss with the tomatoes, artichoke, olives, cilantro, cheese, and basil.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar, taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve with butter lettuce or baby spinach.
- Other additions: toasted pine nuts or almonds, beans, avocado