We can’t seem to keep up with picking tomatoes, right now. They’re small but delicious. I’m roasting a lot of them into our favorite sauce, then freezing whatever we can’t use. When you add that harvest to our bumper crop of basil, it makes for some fabulous pasta dishes. The last time I made this, I added chicken instead of sausage. And actually you could make it without a protein, and it would still be so yummy. We love rigatoni (pasta), and when tossed with this type of sauce, they get filled with all the good stuff.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, loose or link
- 1/2 - 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb cooked pasta, save 1 cup cooking water
- 1 cup roasted tomato sauce
- 1 cup basil pesto
- Salt and pepper
- Grated, shaved, or shredded parmesan cheese.
- Fully cook and brown sausage. Remove from pan and set aside. Loose sausage needs to be broken up, or link should be sliced after cooking.
- Cook mushrooms in sausage fat remaining in pan.
- While pasta is still hot toss with roasted tomatoes and pesto. Add sausage and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with parmesan cheese.
- The amount of pesto or roasted tomatoes that you add are up to your taste.