Clearly there are always ways to improve an (already) wonderful recipe! When I was at the lodge, this was my new, improved version of the crescent kolache. Even the people who had tasted the original recipe, thought this version was to die for.
Even Better Breakfast Kolache
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, Mexican mix, or your favorite
- 1 can Immaculate Crescent Rolls
- Melted butter
- Heat oven to 350
- Combine sausage and cheeses. Set aside.
- On a piece of parchment, lay crescent rolls in one large rectangle (do not separate into rolls). Pinch all seams together well, and flatten evenly, into rectangle.
- Place sausage mixture down the middle of the rectangle, longways. Fold over long sides of pastry and pinch edges together. Pinch together each end also. You'll probably have a little leftover mixture, and you can just slap it on an English muffin, and toast it in the oven.
- Place parchment and kolache on cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool 10 minutes. Slice and serve.