This is the peach cobbler I made at the lodge, that all the guys were obsessing over!
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs frozen peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP cornstarch or flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 TBSP evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Place frozen peaches in a large bowl. Mix sugar and cornstarch together, pour over peaches, and toss.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk, then beat in the milk, vanilla, and salt. Toss with the peaches and sugar. Continue tossing the peaches occasionally, while you're getting the crust ready. You should see a fair amount of "slurry" forming, before the peaches go into the baking pan.
- Heat oven to 350°
- Melt butter in the baking pan (I used the half steam table size aluminum, when I was at the lodge).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the milk, and beat until smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly over the melted butter in the baking pan.
- Now, if the slurry has started forming in your peach mixture, place peaches over the batter. Rearrange peaches as necessary, to make sure you don't have too much batter in any one area.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and crusty. The baking time will vary, depending on how cold the peaches are, when you put it in the oven.