We’ve had a fair amount of banana pudding, lately. I made the last one with Danish butter cookies, instead of vanilla wafers. It was scrumptious, but there are a couple of people here who insist on vanilla wafers, so I made this pudding with wafers.
My “testers” have told me, this is the most delicious ever!
Decadent Banana Cream Pudding
- 1/2 cup + 1 TBSP cornstarch (packed, like you would brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 cups whole milk or half and half
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2-3 bananas, mashed well
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 2-3 sliced bananas
- Cream mixture
- In a medium saucepan, stir together cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in egg yolks, then stir in milk a little at a time, mixing well.
- Add butter.
- Heat and stir on medium until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, layer wafers, sliced bananas, and cream mixture. Create two or more layers, and end with wafers on top.
- If you can't wait until it's chilled completely, serve it warm.