Thought for the Week:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit. –Helen Keller
This is as simple as a recipe gets. In fact calling it a recipe is really questionable! But whatever, they are great by themselves or with Green Beans with Bacon and Almonds. You can even break them up and toss them with the Green Beans (that’s a tip from Kathy). I’m not a big fan of microwave ovens (ours is not even in the kitchen), but I do use it to precook these potatoes.
- Small red potatoes, cleaned and pierced with a fork or knife
- Extra virgin olive oil or butter (about 3 TBSP for each pan full of smashed potatoes)
- Salt and pepper
- Microwave the potatoes until they are just partially cooked. If they are fully cooked they will fall apart. They need to be done just enough so you can smash them! Now it's easier to smash them when they cool a little, but I can never wait, so I use the bottom of one of those little Pyrex custard cups to press each potato until it flattens a little and starts to break apart.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large skillet. Fry the smashed potatoes until they are a bit brown and crusty on both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- It's just not possible to tell you how good these are.