This variation of tapioca, got rave reviews in our house. It’s a simple, slightly sweet way to end your supper.
- 3 TBSP instant tapioca
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk and whole milk combination
- 1 (1-2") knob of ginger
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup, whipped cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the tapioca and the next 4 ingredients well.
- Whisk in milks. I use at least 1 can of coconut milk, and the rest of the 3 cups in whole milk.
- Add ginger and lime zest, and let sit 5 minutes.
- Cook and stir over medium heat, until it boils. Lower heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove ginger, remove tapioca from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Place in a bowl to cool. Cover and refrigerate until set and cold.
- Fold in whipped cream, if using. It does make it lighter, but richer. I did not use it for the recipe pictured.