Chia seeds! The ancient Aztec superfood- they have omega-3s, protein and fiber. Plus the texture that they add to dishes is pretty incredible.
Chia Pudding is a simple and very versatile way to consume the chia seed.
- 2 cups of milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk... (I love Blue Diamond brand unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but use whatever you like- remember if your milk is already sweetened, adjust the sweeteners in this recipe)
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients. Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes and stir again. Repeat this step 4 times, making sure to break up any clumping areas. Chia will thicken substantially during this process.
- You can eat immediately or refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream, or for a delicious non dairy option, try whipping full fat coconut milk .
- You can add other ingredients such as: fresh berries, jam, other sweeteners.
- The chia will thicken in alternate ratios, so play around and find the texture that appeals most to you.
- Also, because of the fiber content, be sure to drink a fair amount of water after you eat chia seeds in any quantity.