I do love “all things pickled,” and I had a lot of carrots that I thought might be good as pickles. I started thinking about the jalapeño mixture that has a few carrot slices in it, and thought I’d reverse the quantity of the ingredients, because I like the carrots in that mixture, better than the jalapeños.
- 1 lb (or more) carrots, sliced into 1/4" thick circles
- 1 large onion, cut into slivers
- 1 large jalapeño, whole and pierced with a fork
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBSP kosher salt
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 2-4 TBSP pickled jalapeño slices (or to taste)
- Place first twelve ingredients in a large pan. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for salt, and add if needed.
- I used one large jar and put fresh oregano sprig and pickled jalapeño slices in it. Then put the entire carrot mixture in the jar also.
- Leave in fridge for at least a day before eating.