This is a great spin on regular carbonara with bacon. Salami adds really good flavor, and it’s easy. The heat from the pasta cooks the egg yolks, and makes a creamy and fabulous sauce that coats everything.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Parmesan or Romano
- 1/4 cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb salami, cut 1/4" thick, then cut into strips*
- 10-12 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 lb cooked pasta (reserve a cup of the pasta water), fettuccine is my pasta of choice
- In a small bowl, mix together yolks, parmesan, cream, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium, add salami.
- Cook salami for a minute or two and add sage. Continue cooking until salami browns.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine.
- Add drained,hot pasta and toss.
- Remove from the heat and quickly toss in yolk, cream mixture.
- If you need to thin it use a little pasta water. Adjust seasoning.
- *I buy beef salami in the deli section, have them slice it about 1/4" thick. When I cut it into strips, I want to be able to fry the outside of the salami and have a soft center. And if you don't want to use salami, use bacon (that's the classic).