We’re still getting lots of small tomatoes from the garden, and we’ve made a lot of roasted tomato sauce, but we wanted a change. This recipe was a pretty fun and delicious way to make Caprese salad for a summer appetizer. You wrap the ingredients like you would for Spring Rolls.
- Rice paper wrappers
- Basil pesto, or basil leaves with garlic extra virgin olive oil
- Slices of good mozzarella cheese
- Pieces of seeded tomato
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Spread a clean, damp kitchen towel on the surface where you're working. Fill a pie pan with slightly warm water. Work with the rice paper one at a time. Immerse the rice paper in the water about 10 seconds until pliable - too short and it will be stiff, too long and they'll fall apart. Lay the rice paper on the damp towel to work with it.
- In the middle, and toward one end, smear on some pesto. Then lay on the tomatoes and cheese. Finally, wrap it like a burrito. Coat the outside lightly with extra virgin olive oil. I smeared some oil on a plate and rolled each wrap on the plate.
- If you use basil leaves and garlic oil, place the leaves on the rice paper, then cheese, and tomatoes, and either drizzle all with oil before you wrap, or use the oil as a dipping sauce.