It’s seems like eating lots of vegetables is a good way for me to start the year. Cabbage and Sweet Potatoes is another spin on Kathy’s Cream Brussel Sprouts recipe. While I’m neither a cabbage or a sweet potato fan, when you put them together with bacon and cream, something amazing happens. I could eat the whole bowl!
Cabbage and Sweet Potatoes
This side dish is so wonderful, it will become part of your cooking repertoire. To make it even better, it feeds a lot of people for very little money. If that's not enough, it's really healthy.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- 1 rutabaga, peeled (optional)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 small head of green cabbage, cored
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup of cream or half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shred potato and rutabaga in food processor
- Cook bacon and set aside. Remove all but three tablespoons of bacon grease from the pan.
- Add potato and rutabaga to bacon drippings and saute for about a minute.
- Shred cabbage in food processor and add to potato and rutabaga. Stir everything to coat with grease. Continue cooking until cabbage wilts down and gets slightly brown.
- Add chicken broth and cook until broth has reduced more than half.
- Add cream, crumbled bacon, and salt and pepper.
- Note: Usually I used cooked, crumbled bacon and add it to extra virgin olive oil in the saute pan.