Because Squash Cheese Casserole is so delicious, I think Broccoli Cheese Casserole must be just as good, if not better. Honestly, Don got more than his share of the squash! Without a doubt, this casserole is a new addition to the lodge menu, delicious and easy. If you need a new side dish (without all the cream soup), this is it. The crushed butter cracker topping is perfect with the creamy cheese. If it’s possible to make it better, bacon might do it!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 large bunch broccoli*
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1/2-1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper (or your favorite all purpose seasoning)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup crushed buttery crackers
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Cut stems off broccoli and slice thinly with a food processor. Chop top of broccoli into small florets.
- Heat a large skillet on medium. Add butter and oil, and cook sliced broccoli stems until tender (cover skillet). Add broccoli florets, garlic, and all seasoning. Continue cooking until tender. I had to add a little water.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in Parmesan, cheddar, sour cream, and mayo.
- Place in greased casserole dish, dot with cream cheese, and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- *Use frozen broccoli florets instead of fresh broccoli, if you prefer. Or try it with cauliflower.
- Other additions: cooked and crumbled bacon or diced cooked chicken.