It’s that time of year, when we love oatmeal for breakfast. I’m trying a couple of new versions for fall. For this one I used sweet potato and apple, but pumpkin, would work well too. In fact, if you have leftover sweet potato casserole, use it in baked oatmeal. It’s very delicious, and makes a pan big enough for us to eat all week.
(Breakfast) Sweet Apple Baked Oatmeal
- 2-2 1/2 cups warm milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 large apple, shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked, peeled, and mashed*
- Heat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until set and barely golden.
- Garnish with dried fruit and nuts, yogurt, syrup, or honey.
- Can be mixed and placed in pan, set in refrigerator overnight, and baked the next morning. Cooking time may increase, because it's cold.
- *If you have leftover pumpkin, or sweet potato (casserole) from a holiday meal, use it instead.