Hope you guys are enjoying your holiday weekend, and I hope this recipe makes it even better. I have to admit I’ve never been a gravy eater and I for sure don’t like to roll out and cut biscuits. I make this for special breakfasts for my husband. This is not everyday food at our house. And really the most redeeming thing about it is you get some dairy!
Over the Top Biscuits and Gravy
- This is my version of a Taste of Home recipe
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 1/2 lb HEB® Fresh Sage Pork Sausage
- 1/4 cup flour (all-purpose or sweet rice)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp Adams Reserve Steak Au Poivre Seasoning*
- Salt and pepper
- In a food processor, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and ground mustard.
- Place pieces of butter on dry ingredients and pulse until crumbly.
- Pulse in milk and cheese until dough starts to form. The dough should be able to be handled.
- Oil your hands slightly and form about 6 large biscuits. Remember I don’t roll and cut, but if you want to roll, knock yourself out.
- Place on greased cookie sheet about 2” apart.
- Bake 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium, and add sausage.
- Cook sausage until brown.
- Stir flour into cooked sausage.
- While continuing to stir, add milk.
- Stir in seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently until thickened to gravy.
- Note: *Adams Reserve Steak Au Poivre Seasoning is a great all purpose seasoning I get across from the meat counter at HEB Woodway.